Medicare eligibility is based on age and citizenship status, disability needs, or health condition. You may also be eligible for additional coverage. How do you know if you’re eligible? Let’s take a look and find out.
Original Medicare Eligibility
It is incredibly important that you understand your Original Medicare eligibility. Because it is the most basic form of Medicare coverage, if you are eligible for it, you will likely be eligible for other, additional forms of coverage as well. If you meet at least one of these qualifications, you may be eligible for Original Medicare if:
- You are a U.S. citizen
- You are 65 or older
- You have ESRD
- You have Lou Gehrig’s Disease
- You are receiving or are eligible to receive Social Security or Railroad Retirement Benefits
- You or your spouse is a government employee
- You are under 65 but receive disability benefits from the RRB or Social Security for at least 24 months
Premium-Free Medicare Part A Eligibility
Medicare Part A also offers a premium-free option—if eligible, you will not have to make any monthly payments for your coverage under this plan. You are eligible for premium-free Part A if:
- You or your spouse worked and paid Medicare taxes for at least ten years.
- You are receiving or are waiting to apply for retirement benefits from Social Security or the Railroad Retirement Board.
- You or your spouse had Medicare-covered government employment.
Receive Your Quote
We are not connected with or endorsed by the United States government or the federal Medicare program.
Medical Underwriting Eligibility for Medicare Supplements
If you apply for a Medicare Supplement plan during your initial enrollment period (IEP), you will not have to worry about your eligibility. However, suppose you postpone your application until after this period ends. In that case, you may have to meet certain qualifications to be eligible.
This process is referred to as medical underwriting. Most applications will have at least one form of health-related questions, most of which are answered with a simple “yes” or “no.” This questionnaire will determine your eligibility for a Supplement plan.
Get the Medicare Coverage You Need at a Cost You Can Afford
Our dedicated team of finance experts is here to get you the most cost-effective Medicare coverage on the market. When you’re ready to get started with your free consultation, give us a call at 281-639-7787.